Facebook and Twitter dominate the social media market. More than half of the adult population uses social media networks and Facebook, by far, continues to lead the market with Twitter coming in second. So how do you know which one is best for your social media marketing purposes? Here are some stats about Facebook and Twitter to help you decide.
Facebook is nearing 1.5 billion active users. While the younger crowd has a significantly larger friend network, most of the users on Facebook are between the ages of 35 and 44. If your target audience is the middle-aged adult, with a slight female preference, then Facebook is your best marketing choice.
The younger crowd, ages 18-29, has a larger friend population with an average of over 500 friends. Those between the ages of 29-49 have an average of 200 friends and over those over 50 have an average of 100 or less in their friend network. The overall average number of friends a person has is 338.
BEST TIME TO POST:
Most Facebook posts are done during the work week and Facebook usage tends to peak when people want to be at work the least. Thus, Thursdays and Friday early afternoons show the most traffic. Posts done around 1pm in your target time zone get the most shares and posts at 3pm get the most click throughs. General consensus is that overall, if you can’t wait until Thursday or Friday, posts in the early afternoon on weekdays have the most impact.
- Facebook was launched in February, 2004
- 71% of adults in the United States have a Facebook account
- Facebook is the social media choice for those 65 and over
- Soccer player, Cristiano Ronaldo has the most fans for a Facebook page (103,175,616 million), with musician Shakira coming in 2nd (100,281,183 million) and actor Vin Diesel comes in 3rd (92,362,239 million)
- The two largest brand pages are Facebook For Every Phone (547 million) and Coca-Cola (93 million)
- Facebook has over 9,000 employees
- The estimated value of Facebook is $222 billion
- The average user spends 41 minutes a day on Facebook
There are more than 300 million active Twitter accounts and around 100 million of those users are active daily. Twitter is most popular to those who are between the ages of 18 – 29 with the average number of followers per user as 208.
BEST TIME TO POST:
Twitter is 14% more active during the week than it is on the weekend. 5PM has the top slot for the most retweets and tweets posted. Wednesday time slots at 12:00pm and 6:00pm receive the most follows and favorites. Twitter users are also the most active at work, school and during commute hours.
- Twitter was launched in March, 2006
- The accounts with the most Twitter followers belong to Katy Perry (64 million), Justin Bieber (59 million) and Barack Obama (53 million)
- 77% of twitter users are in the United States
- The optimal number of tweets per hour is between 1 and 4
- Tweets with images have a higher engagement rate
- YouTube is the most followed account with over 40 million followers
- Twitter has around 2,000 employees
- Ellen Degeneres’ selfie at the Oscars holds the record for number of retweets at 3.4 million
- The estimated value of Twitter is $27 billion
- The average user spends 17 minutes a day on Twitter
Join our list!
Our blog, delivered to your inbox. Never miss a post!