Blogging is a popular medium for individuals to express their ideas and share their experiences. However, blogging is not just limited to individuals; businesses can also benefit from blogging. In fact, having a company blog has become an essential component of digital marketing strategies for businesses of all sizes.
In this post, I’m going to explore why you should consider starting a company blog for your business, and give you some tips to get started.
Having a Company Blog Boosts SEO
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of optimizing your website to rank higher in search engine results pages (SERPs). Blogging is an effective way to improve your website’s SEO. By creating high-quality content that is relevant to your target audience, you can increase your website’s visibility and attract more traffic. Additionally, search engines favor websites that are regularly updated with fresh content, which is why blogging is an effective strategy to improve your website’s SEO.
This is one of my favorite images to share. Take a look at this graph. Can you tell when we started taking blogging seriously here at Sumy Designs? Just a note, this was before we started doing keyword research and actively optimizing our site. This was just from regular blogging. (Results may vary.)
A company blog allows businesses to showcase their expertise and knowledge in their respective industries. By providing valuable insights and opinions, businesses can establish themselves as thought leaders in their respective fields. This can lead to increased credibility and trust among your target audience and the search engines, which can ultimately lead to increased sales and revenue.
It can help generate leads
Blogging is an effective strategy to generate leads for your business. By creating content that is relevant and valuable to your target audience, you can attract potential customers to your website. Once they are on your website, you can encourage them to take the next step by having strategically placed calls-to-action which might be offering something of value, such as a free e-book, coupons, or a newsletter subscription.
Aids in Brand Awareness
Blogging is an effective way to build brand awareness for your business. By creating high-quality content that is shareable and engaging, you can increase your brand’s visibility and reach a wider audience. This can help you attract new customers and build a loyal customer base over time.
Improves Customer Engagement
Blogging is an effective way to improve customer engagement for your business. By creating content that is informative, entertaining, and shareable, you can encourage your customers to interact with your brand. This can lead to increased customer loyalty and advocacy, which can ultimately lead to increased sales and revenue.
Blogging is Cost-Effective Marketing
Blogging is a cost-effective marketing strategy for businesses of all sizes. Unlike traditional marketing strategies, such as TV and radio advertising, blogging does not require a significant investment of resources. All you need is a website, a content management system, and someone willing to create high-quality content. Additionally, blogging can help you attract organic traffic to your website, which can save you money on paid advertising campaigns.
Builds Trust and Credibility
A company blog is an effective way to build trust and credibility with your target audience. By providing valuable insights and opinions, businesses can establish themselves as thought leaders in their respective fields. This can lead to increased credibility and trust among your target audience, which can ultimately lead to increased sales and revenue.
Improves Social Media Presence
Blogging is an effective way to improve your social media presence. By creating high-quality content that is shareable and engaging, you can increase your brand’s visibility on social media platforms. Additionally, you can use your blog posts as a source of content for your social media profiles, which can save you time and resources on creating new content.
Tips for Getting Started with a Company Blog
So I’ve convinced you, and now you’re ready to get started. Hooray! Here are some tips that might help you get started and moving in the right direction.
- Pick a blogging schedule you can maintain and stick to it. Consistency is the most important aspect of your company blog. Many business owners get super ambitious when they read data on the benefits of blogging and decide to set an impossible schedule to keep. If you can blog once a week, then do it once a week. If you can only commit once a month, then do it once a month. But adding a blog that sits empty or is hugely out of date, that will bring you no benefits.
- Brainstorm a list of blog topics. The hardest part of blogging for many people is coming up with a list of ideas. Instead of sitting down to write a post with no ideas, start by brainstorming a list of 20 or more possible topics. Look at your competitor’s website. Read through old emails from clients or customers. You could even use ChatGPT to help you gather ideas. But get a list of topics and have it ready to go before you sit down to blog.
- Use your own voice. I’ll say this 100 times, but your voice is important. If your company isn’t still and formal, then your company blog shouldn’t be either. Your writing should reflect you and your company. It doesn’t need to read like a PhD dissertation, unless of course you work in academia.
- Add your name and date to your posts. People want to know who wrote what they are writing, and they want to know how old that content is. Some topics can get out of date fast.
- Make it shareable and share it. Be sure your post has a great image to go along with the link and excerpt so it looks great when it’s shared. Then make sure to share it on your own social media.
- Include visuals. Giant blocks of text may be good for SEO, but having strategically placed graphics can enhance the content for your users.
- Make sure it’s on your own domain. If you want to get that SEO juice for your blog, then it needs to be on your own website, not on blogger.com or wordpress.com or Medium. You can absolutely use those tools for your blog… just make sure you incorporate them on your own domain.
- Pay attention to post length. It’s a lot easier to publish a quick post with 100 words, but it has a lot less benefits than putting in the time to create an in-depth blog post.
A Company Blog Provides Long-Term Benefits
Blogging provides long-term benefits for your business. Unlike traditional marketing strategies, such as TV and radio advertising, which have a short lifespan, blog posts can continue to generate traffic and leads for your business for years to come. Additionally, blog posts can be updated and repurposed over time, which can help you maximize your return on investment.
If you haven’t already started blogging for your business, now is the time to start.
Join our list!
Our blog, delivered to your inbox. Never miss a post!